It’s a bare fact that 84% of the products for sun protection affect your health in a bad way. The research that has proven this was conducted by EWG-one of the largest non-profitable US organizations. However, you can also prepare your own homemade sunscreen products that will be completely natural and will have SPF that varies from 4-20. These lotions are natural, amazingly fragrant and very hydrating.
The toxic chemicals contained in most of the sunscreens, disrupt the normal functioning of the endocrine system, as well as induce the formation of free radicals and contain carcinogenic properties. In fact, statistics show that since sunscreens have entered mass production, the growth rate of skin cancer has increased. What’s worse is that applying sunscreens with high SPF to your skin actually blocks the formation of the necessary vitamin D, without which the human organism weakens and which greatly helps in the fight against cancer.
Because most of us do not work outside, we have to try harder to get vitamin D from the sun, which means that, instead of trying to avoid it, we need to expose ourselves more to it. This can be achieved with this natural sun-protective product.
- ½ cup organic almond or olive oil (1 dl)
- ¼ cup organic virgin coconut oil that has a natural SPF 4 (1/2 dl)
- ¼ cup beeswax (1 tbsp.)- you can skip this step if you don’t have any, it gives thickness
- 2 tbsps. zinc oxide powder
Instead of half of the amount of coconut oil, you can also use cocoa butter (it smells great), 1 tbsp. liquid vitamin E (it is great against skin aging and as a stabilizer), 1-2 tbsp. shea butter (contains natural SPF 4-5), ethereal oil (coconut, vanilla and lavender are the best, avoid citrus ones).
Why are these ingredients so great?
It is a non-toxic mineral (unlike oxybenzone which is present in many sunscreen lotions) that reflects sun’s rays much like a mirror, that is, it doesn’t penetrate the blood stream. It has a wide specter of UVA and UVB reflecting properties, it absorbs UV-rays, and it has antiseptic and antifungal effect. It also has SPF 20+, depending on the amount you’ll use. This ingredient can be bought from herbal drugstores or online, and it’s not very expensive. Caution: Be careful not to breathe in some of the powder during the sunscreen preparation.
Due to its composition, the shea butter is an irreplaceable product for daily skin care. It contains a high level of unsaturated fatty acids (7-12%), vitamins A and E, as well as a high percentage pf proteins and minerals. In addition, it is especially effective in skin cells’ regeneration, has an anti-aging effect, functions anti-inflammatory, helps with various dermatological conditions (psoriasis, seborrhea, eczema, atopic dermatitis, acne), and it’s very helpful in healing small wounds, scratches and burns. It penetrates the skin deeply, so it can be used for prevention or treatment of stretch marks and scars. This ingredient can also be found in herbal drugstores.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the zinc oxide and the ethereal oil, in a glass jar (500 ml jar). Caution: if you add more beeswax, you’ll get a thicker and harder sunscreen lotion.
- Pour a little amount of water in a medium-sized container and place it at low heat.
- Close the jar with a lid and place it into the container. As the water starts heating, the ingredients will start melting. Shake the jar and stir the ingredients every now and then.
- When all ingredients melt completely, remove the jar from heat and carefully, without inhaling, add the zinc oxide. Stir everything well and then add the ethereal oil.
- Mix the concoction several times while the lotion cools down, so that you’re sure that the zinc oxide is melted well.
- Pour out the lotion in a tube (from another used one).
How to use it and preserve it:
- Use the lotion as any other sunscreen lotion. It’s very easy to apply to the skin and smells amazing.
- This sunscreen is not water-proof, so you’ll need to apply it after swimming and sweating.
- Cover all areas of your skin because this sunscreen creates a mechanical protestion, not chemical.
- Store it in a dry and cold place or in the fridge.
- It is best to use it within a period of 6 months.
Here’s an even faster and easier way to prepare a sunscreen lotion with SPF 20:
Take any natural organic body lotion or body milk that doesn’t contain citrus ingredients, add 2 tablespoons of zinc oxide powder and mix well.
It’s the same for face creams: Mix ½ a tablespoon of zinc oxide powder and heat the cream a bit by placing it in warm water. Thus, you’ll get a natural face cream with SPF.
Light-skinned people and small children should avoid exposure to intense sunlight, that is, to expose themselves to sunlight gradually. They can use this sunscreen lotion only after they obtain a certain degree of pigmentation.